Wednesday, March 16, 2011

First Multimedia Convergence Project

Cooper Mach and I decided to cover the bars preparing for Fake Patty's day for our first project. When we first started the project our story board included a print story on the history of Fake Patty's, a video project on the bar managers and the atmosphere, a podcast of the waitresses, a soundslide of the bars before Fake Patty's and the day of and finally a map of the bars who would be having specials for the day.

Our story board ended up with a video, podcast, photo gallery, map and print story. We ended up with less time than we originally thought to do the project. I work as the photo editor for the K-State Collegian and unfortunately that job sucks up most of my time. I was able to work on this project and submit part of it to the paper.

We decided to split up the interviews and work on separate parts of the project and then bring it back together as a whole. I had problems with people getting back with me to interview. I was only able to interview the owner of The Library, a local liquor store in Aggieville. I also almost missed the day of Fake Patty's because I was in Kansas City shooting the Big 12 women's basketball tournament on Friday.

I learned from this project that business owners are more willing to help out students if they think they can get free advertising in the newspaper. When I wrote the print story, I included quotes from the bar owners and it was a way of them getting their names out to students for free. I enjoyed doing this project. The biggest thing I wish I could have done different would have been to do more interviews and do more ahead of time than trying to get everything done a few days before the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment